Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Lawyer vs. The Accountant

Lately, I have been thinking more and more about law vs. accounting. You see, the opportunities for a lawyer are few and far between. I will have to pound the pavement after taking the bar to find a job in the legal profession. I'd probably be an above average lawyer: I go to a good school that trains hard-core lawyers, I'm in the upper third of my class, and I've got good experience up to this point. But still, the opportunities to be a lawyer can be stifling: the long hours, the generally challenging but stressful work environment. At this point, I'll likely find a job doing tax law or corporate securities work. Tax work is stable and the work life balance is decent and monetary compensation is sufficient, for a lawyer. Corporate securities work is demanding, can be a feast or famine type of situation, but the monetary compensation can be tremendous.

Accounting offers me better work life balance. Particularly, because I will have a law degree from a decent school, a Big 4 name on my resume, and an undergraduate business degree from a good college, employers come knocking. I post my resume in the "Finance & Accounting" section of any job board and suddenly, I am inundated by phone calls from headhunters and future employers looking for that finance person with the right pedigree; an accounting person who understands the numbers, the law, and can speak with authority to upper management. Basically: An accountant who can talk and write clearly. The compensation is almost as good as a lawyer's (if not better).

Something entirely different: I have also been thinking about doing something that is entirely different, but something where I can use all my skills to their fullest potential. Likely, something that would appeal to my entrepreneurial spirit (perhaps starting my own business?). But I don't know; just kicking around ideas.

So the question is: What do I want to do and where does God want me? The answer to that question will determine my future for the next 10 years. I need all the prayer I can get on this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home