Friday, July 22, 2005

Christianity's Alliance with Neo-Conservativism and its Hatred of the "Useful Idiots"

Last Sunday, I attended Capitol Hill Baptist Church here in D.C. (capitolhillbaptist.org). Afterwards, I went to lunch with some brothers-in-Christ and our discussion somehow got on the topic of church politics and one of the Presbyterian networks. Particularly, one brother said that the Presbyterian churches out west and in the northeast are "out to lunch" and that many presbyterian churhces spew "wishy-washy" theology and that only maybe 5% of the churches are "truly evangelical" because these churches allegedly support gay rights in some shape or form. I do sense now, more than ever, a sense of struggle within the body of believers. I did not sense it so strongly within the confines of my safe, non-controversial home church in San Francisco. What I found so troubling about my brother's statement is this sense of contempt for other believers. And if he is so contemptuous of other believers, how much more so with non-believers!?! It reminded me very much of Ann Coulter and the neo-conservative (see Fox News Channel) hatred/contempt for all things liberal. I find it very troubling.

I find it troubling because there is a serious rift among believers that may prove fatal for the body of believers. Such contempt amongst believers suggest that we, as believers, are not living out the Lord's message of grace. For if we cannot extend grace to brothers and sisters in Christ, we cannot extend grace to non-believers. Anyhow, to me, it's troubling. I will pray tonight on it.

"Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life." 1 Timothy 15-16.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home