Thursday, August 08, 2002

What happened to the old traditional Chinese wedding banquets?

Not that it matters much but I'm going to two weddings over the next 6 weeks and I've noticed that both wedding banquests are in fairly fancy hotels, the Sheraton Palace here in downtown SF and Hotel Nikko on O'Farrell (near Union Square). Both are definitely up-scale but more importantly, neither are Chinese Restaurants. I remember, back in the day, we all used to go to those Chinese Restaurants for wedding banquets. Remember? Like the ones with the constant "ting"-ing of forks on glass (or plastic chopsticks on china if you're really old school) to urge the bride and groom into a kiss? You know, the one where the bride changes constantly into a new dress after every hour or so? Now, when I get the invites, I get to choose: Filet Mignon or Lobster Tail. What's up with that? Where's the shark's fin soup and peking duck? Are Chinese Restaurants not good enough for us anymore? Sadly, we've probably all turned into twinkies... no doubt, I'm one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home