Wednesday, September 27, 2006

So, I got a job offer... to be a tax accountant at a CPA firm at a lower salary than what I would have expected to make coming out of law school. I've been having sleepless nights because I'm not sure what to do. Should I wait to see if I can get something better or take the offer? Should I wait for my bar results to see if I can obtain a job in the legal field? Would a legal job be better than a tax accounting job? Should I do SEC Reporting? I've prayed about it and J has prayed for me about it. I'm so not sure what to do.

Tax Accounting
-Pros: Get lots of challenging assignments. I know one person at the CPA firm who is fairly high up and can help me get the best assignments to work on. The job would let me use some of the tax law knowledge I've gained. The offer is in hand. The partners and people seem to be nice. Possibility to do tax law after working in the tax accounting field. Higher potential.
-Cons: Get less pay than I would have expected coming out of law school. The job title ("Staff Accountant") stinks.

SEC Reporting
-Pros: Better title. No offer yet but I could get one, I believe, somewhat easily. Pays quite a lot better.
-Cons: I wouldn't be using my legal skills at all in the field. Lower potential.

Law
-Pros: I get to use my legal knowledge. Probably better pay (but not certain).
-Cons: I may hate the practice of law, like many others. It's unsure at this time whether I will like it or not. The legal job market for new grads isn't so hot.

Gosh, what should I do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home