Monday, November 01, 2004

So yay, I got a job offer from the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) (not to be confused with the South East Conference) in their Washington, D.C. office. The SEC is an administrative agency under the umbrella of the Executive Branch of the Federal Government. So yeah, that means my overall boss will be the President... so I guess you could say that my experience next summer could hinge on who wins the election tomorrow.... Of course, because it's a government job, the pay sucks (well, not that sucky but it's nowhere near what I would make as an attorney at a law firm, or even as a CPA)... but that's ok because I'm doing something pretty darn cool. In deciding to work for the SEC, you have to decide what division you want to work in. Most people want to work in the Enforcement Divison, where you (along with the Department of Justice) get to go after the bad guys: Enron, Martha Stewart, MCI Worldcomm, etc... but I think I will try to get into the Rule-making body of the Corporate Finance Division. The Rule-making body gets to make rules and laws that corporations must abide by when they issue stock (or disclose information on their financial statements) or broker-dealers must abide by when they deal in stocks. So literally, I get to "make my own rules." Sweet huh?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Does this mean you're moving?
~ miscmusings

3:10 PM  
Blogger AlfDaBruin said...

Yep, this means I'll probably be moving to D.C. this summer... and perhaps more long term... we'll see. I think at least for next summer, living in D.C. would be quite fun. Care to visit?

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home